Thursday, July 02, 2009

Garden bouquet


Yesterday we had this beautiful tall delphinium just coming into full flower. The top of the fence you can see here is just about the height of my nose. My sweetie took the pictures and I was hoping he'd get a full shot of the entire plant instead of just a close up of the flower. It's a vivid splash of colour that comes back year after year. I got smarter last year and supported the bottom half of the plant in a tomato cage because in full flower it's very top heavy.

Last night we had a thunder shower that blew it over. We tried tying it up to a stake, but what kind of a stake do you use for a pant that's nearly 7 foot tall? We got it tied up and I turned my back for a minute and it broke in half and fell over again. So today I have this gorgeous bouquet on my table. I'm hoping the rest of the buds will open. I don't mind whether the flowers are in the garden or on the table, just as long as I can get to enjoy them.

4 comments:

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Wow! Very pretty Sharon. Glad DH snapped a picture before the storm.

Unknown said...

Ah, Yes. Nobody does colours like nature. We must all make time to enjoy them while we can.

Unknown said...

Those are gorgeous! I love flowers and for some reason I find the ones on the long stems like that (like gladiolas, etc) to be so elegant looking.

Fox said...

Beautiful flowers in such rich shades of purple! Yummy!