Sunday, October 26, 2008

Snowflake Suncatcher Pattern


This is a modification of a pattern that I designed as a thank you for Nell Corns. It starts with a central ring and a split ring to climb out into the first round of single shuttle rings and uses 3 seed beads as spacers on the bare thread. The whole design takes 204 beads so I found it easier to put the beads for the first round plus the 12 used in between the large and small rings of round 2 on one shuttle and the remainder on the second shuttle, that works out to 81 beads on shuttle 1 and 123 on shuttle 2. You can work with all but 15 beads on one shuttle, but then it becomes hard to manage. When I'm working with one colour or type of bead I always load a few extra on each shuttle. That way, if I miscount or find a misshapen bead I can break it off and not worry that I won't have enough to finish.




Complete round one with 3 beads from the second shuttle and end off with a split ring. Then begin the next round with a large split ring loaded with 5 beads. The picot on the split side of the ring will be used to hold the 2 sides of the points together.


There are 2 beads between the large and small split rings, one from each shuttle and 2 beads on the outer side of the small ring. After the first small ring, there are 3 beads that make the outer point of the motif. The second side of the point is a mirror image of the first side. The large rings are joined to one another on
the split side of the rings.


The join to the outward facing ring of the first round is not a shuttle join. Switch shuttles to make the join. Leave 3 beads in the middle of the chain and finish by joining to the next outward facing ring. Repeat until all of the points are completed.


This is a simple pattern and worked in size 20 thread is about 3 inches across from point to point. Made with silver lined beads, it's very sparkly and eye catching. Here is the pattern.

13 comments:

*♥* Heather *♥* said...

what can i say but BEAUTIFUL!! Those are so pretty
Have a good day
~Heather

Unknown said...

Yippee! I can't wait to try this beautiful pattern! ...well, maybe I can...I tatted myself into oblivion yesterday and my arm hurt... (not good to do, I know). So when I'm up for tatting again this will be one of those projects I have to do. Maybe I'll try some of my new threads and beads! :)
Thank you so much for the work you put into the pattern.

Marilee Rockley said...

Absolutely stunning - thank you for sharing the pattern.

Marty said...

Thanks for the pattern, Sharon! All those beads are just beautiful. I wonder how it would look stiffened and made on a tiny little button so I could put a pin back on it??

Sharon said...

I'm glad y'all like it. I've finished the green and I'm working on the mauve, but I'm beginning to feel like I'm stuck in a rut. After the 5th I had to hit the store to pick up more beads as I didn't have the quantities of smae colour beads at home to make any more. This little stinker is addictive. Marty, it would probably look wonderful, but you'd need to use teeny, weeny, itty, bitty beads to make it a button sized motif.

Marty said...

Oh, yes! I wonder if I could find thread and beads small enough? My original thought was more along the line of getting the center ring worked around a button then making the remainder of the snowflake and stiffening it. Then on the back of the button, using one of those clasp pins -- the ones a little bit like post earrings.

Tattycat said...

This is beautiful, Sharon! You know how I am about snowflakes and this one is a "must tat." Thank you so much for sharing the pattern.

Ridgewoman said...

I am overwhelmed by this snowflake. It is so far beyond anything I would even attempt ~ all those beads! aghhhhhh But it is beautiful and I enjoyed looking at it. For some reason snowflakes and Halloween do not "speak" to me or call out to be tatted. I rather like little critters and other holiday ornaments. I've yet to try one of Terry's Bells, and I have bells and her book! I have determined to finish all the UFO's (I'm down to 3) before Christmas.
You do such lovely work Sharon and this snowflake is exquisite ~ I will be interested in seeing the others results (those who have said they will tat one).
Happy Holidays,
Ridgetatter :>)

Sharon said...

It is a very beady snowflake, b ut it's the mass of sparkly in the middle that draws the eye. I'm on my 9th snowflake now and I have to quit soon, there are just too many other designs to work on. Besides, I have a new design challenge to post. Shhhh! it's a secret.

AnneB said...

A truly lovely snowflake! Maybe this might become my first beaded tatting project? I should do some snowflake as it has been snowing outside – but then there is a design challenge project I should finish first ;-)

Sharon said...

It does make an eye catching and sun catching snowflake. My windows are filling up with snowflakes of all colours that shine and sparkle in the sun. But you have to get a move on the design challenge, because there's already new one up today. LOL

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Sharon, this is so pretty! Thank you for sharing the pattern!

Sharon said...

You're welcome Diane. I hope lots of other tatters will be enjoying sparkly windows this season.