Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas tatting

I got to spend Wednesday at the hospital while hubby got all kinds of test done. We left home at 6:30 AM and arrived back home at 7:30 PM so it was a very long day. There were a series of tests done in the morning and then a 4 hour gap in the middle followed by a 2 hour drive home stuck in rush hour traffic coming back from downtown Toronto. It wasn't a total waste though. I managed to tat 3 of these snowflakes. I used a size 10 thread with an opalescent filament. It's like the silver and gold filament stuff but not so tacky. It just adds a little sparkle of shine when the light hits it, although it doesn't show up in the scan.

I did 8 of the snowflakes in size 30 to go out to the family in their Christmas cards and my honey was in such a hurry to get the mail out I didn't have time for any more. I'm not crazy about the design, but there was this whole time warp thing, where my belief that I would be able to tat miles of lace in a day, smacked up against reality. I had actually planned on tatting angels for this year's cards but then there was, you know, this time warp thing. Maybe in the lull between Christmas and New Years this year I can tat some angels for next year and be ahead of the game. Just once when hubby starts doing the Christmas cards I'd like to hand him an abundance of tatted pieces ready to be tucked inside.

This design only took about 2 hours each and between shifting from room to room as different tests were done and walking around window shopping and having lunch during the mid day 4 hour break, I don't think I did too bad at managing 3 of them. I want to give these larger snowflakes to the neighbours and I'm having a hard time balancing between not leaving anyone out and possibly feeling offended and giving them to people who will think nothing more of them than a paper cut out snowflake. I always seem to end up the season thinking I wish I had a few more to give away. I've done 10 snowflakes now and I think I'll deliver these and then think about who I've missed...Maybe I should do a couple extras just in case...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sharon, I believe honesty is the best policy so I give my tatting to those who appreciate it and if someone is offended I just tell them that with the amount of effort that goes into making a piece I only give it away to a select few who truly appreciate it.

Tattycat said...

The snowflakes are beautiful and I agree with Clyde - much too precious to give to anyone who won't appreciate them. It's like giving a part of yourself away and that's special. Way to go Sharon and Clyde!
I hope hubby's test come out well.
Merry Christmas!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Good morning, Sharon! I agree with Clyde and Laura... I make lots of baby gifts, but only give them to those who have oohed and aahed over past accomplishments. I'm very stingy with my tatting!

Sharon said...

I do a lot of tatting and I'm rarely without a shuttle in my hand. I also tat quickly and if I give away a snowflake that takes me an hour or two and the recipient doesn't appreciate it and throws it in the garbage, it's their loss. I have rarely given a piece of tatting to someone who didn't treasure it. It must be my intimidating manner that says you WILL like it or else! I give my tatting away almost as fast as I make it. People in my family are thrilled to receive a piece of lace and each time I see them they'll tell me about where they have it displayed. People I have given snowflakes to in previous years made a point of telling me this year that they have their snowflake on the tree already. One lady told me she hung beaded snowflakes in her window as a suncatchers and she loved the sparkle in the window. My job is done once I've given it, but if someone makes a point of belittling the lace, they don't get anything new. The neighbours have been showing each other what they received so I'm not too worried about people not appreciating it. Like I said, it must be my threatening attitude.

Tattycat said...

Hi Sharon, I don't make many mistakes in giving away my tatting, but when I do, that's it! Hubby asked me for three snowflakes this year - one for his secretary and two for colleagues. The secretary is thrilled. The other two - who knows. He's not sure since he didn't get to hand it to them directly and tell them what it was. It won't happen again.